Tour de France 2016 Stages
After a moment of silence paying respect to the victims of the Nice attack the evening before, the riders set out on the 37.4 km individual time trial course. An unusual placement for the first time trial of the 2016 race, the stage 13 route wound its way from Bourg-Saint-Andéol to La Caverne du Pont-d’Arc.
Tom Dumoulin (Team Giant-Alpecin) was the winner for the day with a time of 50 minutes 15 seconds.
It’s a day of two halves. I’m very happy with the win but my thoughts go out to everyone affected by the horrific attack in Nice. This morning we woke up to the terrible news and I had to get into my zone and focus on the time trial. It is terrible what happened today and it shadows the day a lot. I think we cannot let terrorists decide our lives in our society.
During the recon which I did behind John in the team car I noticed there were a couple of tricky moments with the cross winds so I was well prepared and aware of it. Therefore we decided to race with a normal front wheel. Throughout the course anyway the wind was very dangerous and very hard to cope with. In the final run in there was one dangerous moment where I almost went off the road.
Overall it was a very good time trial and it shows that I am in good shape at the moment. During the last two days I was not feeling so well, but today I had good legs. I was able to enjoy the ride today and I was able to concentrate on my performance. I know I can pick my days during the Tour and go for a good result, and today’s victory gives me a lot of confidence.”
– Tom Dumoulin
Race leader, Chris Froome (Team Sky), was second, finishing 1 minute 3 seconds behind Dumoulin’s time. Froome’s ride increased his lead in the overall competition to 1 minute 47 seconds over Bauke Mollema (Trek Segafredo).
Looking ahead to tomorrow, Stage 14 takes the riders from Montélimar to Villars-les-Dombes Parc des Oiseaux along a 208.5 km route with three category 4 climbs that is known to see strong headwinds.
Tour de France 2016 Stage 13 Top Ten
- Tom DUMOULIN (NED) TGA 50:15
- Christopher FROOME (GBR) SKY +1:03
- Nelson Filipe SANTOS SIMOES OLIVEIRA (POR) MOV +1:31
- Jerome COPPEL (FRA) IAM +1:35
- Rohan DENNIS (AUS) BMC +1:41
- Bauke MOLLEMA (NED) TFS +1:54
- Geraint THOMAS (GBR) SKY +2:00
- Jon IZAGUIRRE INSAUSTI (ESP) MOV +2:02
- Tony MARTIN (GER) EQS +2:05
- Stephen CUMMINGS (GBR) DDD +2:24
Tour de France 2016 General Classification Top Ten after Stage 13
- Christopher FROOME Great Britain SKY 31 58:02:51
- Bauke MOLLEMA Netherlands TFS +1:47
- Adam YATES Great Britain OBE +2:45
- Nairo Alexander QUINTANA ROJAS Colombia MOV +2:59
- Alejandro VALVERDE BELMONTE Spain MOV+3:17
- Tejay VAN GARDEREN United States BMC +3:19
- Romain BARDET France ALM +4:04
- Richie PORTE Australia BMC +4:27
- Daniel MARTIN Ireland EQS +5:03
- Fabio ARU Italy AST +5:16
Tour de France 2016 Jerseys after Stage 13
Yellow Leader’s jersey: Chris Froome
Green Sprinter’s jersey: Peter Sagan
Polka dot KOM jersey: Thomas De Gendt
White Best Young Rider jersey: Adam Yates
Tour de France 2016 Stage 13 route
Stage 13 – Individual time trial
Date: 15 July, 2016
Finish: La Caverne du Pont-d’Arc
Distance: 37.5 km
Tour de France 2016 Stage 13 route map
Tour de France 2016 Stage 13 profile
Maps courtesy of Le Tour de France / © A.S.O.